Thursday, April 17, 2008

Welcome to Trunkt...

Very quietly, and with very little fanfare, I applied (for the second time) for a portfolio on trunkt.org Tuesday night. If you read my first post, you know that the first time I applied, I was rejected in under an hour. It stung, but ever since, I've been working hard to make improvements to my shop, to develop a more cohesive brand, and to generally be more of a "grown up" with regard to my business. And I'm pleased with the results. Of course, there is always more to do. (For example, my banner apparently has nothing to do with my product. Ok, I have absorbed that piece of critique, and am ready to do something about it.... just as soon as I can find another spare FIVE HOURS, 'cause I swear that's how long the original took!) But, in general, I feel good about what I have to offer. I have nice photos and professional listings. I make a quality product with a unique look and feel. My orders are shipped promptly and packaged professionally. And maybe, just maybe, I'm finally ahead of the game when it comes to supplies. As I stood over a stack of outgoing card orders Tuesday, it occurred to me that I just might be ready to try Trunkt again. I spent a few minutes in Photoshop during Idol, uploaded all the necessary stuff (some of my very favorite designs), took a deep breath, and went to bed. Here's one of the pics I submitted:

Trunkt is kind of a big deal in the Etsy community. Sellers want to be there because a) it's a cool site, b) it's supposed to link big important people like retailers and sales reps with little ole designers like me, and c) it's juried, meaning that you can't just purchase a portfolio - you have to be selected. Before I applied the first time, after hearing about trunkt from a fellow Dallas "progressive parent", funkychicboutique, I scoured the Etsy forums for the low-down. Largely, those posting were annoyed about being turned down or ecstatic about being accepted. I really didn't learn much other than the fact that the trunkt community seems to be comprised of super talented, professional, successful artists and designers, of which, of course, we all want to be.
The rejection didn't come within the first few hours - that was good, at least. But I was fairly sure it was coming... That's why it was such a surprise this morning when I opened Outlook to find this:
Who knows what will come of it... maybe nothing, and that's ok. But, when you put yourself on the line and you're hanging out there feeling naked and vulnerable, it sure is nice to have a complete stranger say, "Hey, you. You do decent work. Come on in." And if I happen to get a nice wholesale offer out of the whole thing? Well, let's just say, I won't complain.







11 comments:

Tori said...

What an awesome "nod" to you! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Valerie said...

Wow! I am so excited for you! Very good news indeed!

New England Quilter said...

Yay! I hadn't heard of Trunkt before. Thanks for explaining a bit about it. That is wonderful news that you were accepted :)

Amy

Distressing Delilah a.k.a. jenn said...

Congrats! I am not on it, have heard of it, but didn't realize it was so hard to be accepted or that you even had to be accepted there! You rock!

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

I was rejected the first time in a matter of minutes. It was like, "did you even look?". But I took their critique and did my thing... now I'm a member, too! Congrats on your entry. Let's hope there's lot of recognition for us both :)

Dayna said...

Congratulations...all your hard work paid off.

Andrea Baker said...

That is wonderful!!!!! Congrats!!

Annie Howes said...

Congratulations! Your hard work has really paid off :o)

Annie Howes
http://anniehoweskeepsakes.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! I don't dare apply for Trunkt, because I am a chicken and a coward. But your are awesome and deserve it!

Carry Grace said...

Congrats!

Winklepots said...

That's wonderful Kelly! Well deserved. You make a lovely product and it needs to be shown. :o) Congratulations!