Saturday, March 14, 2009

Dear Kid Saturday


Welcome to this week's installment of "Dear Kid." As always, full credit to Christina of Cutest Kid Ever for the fabulous idea. Want to write a "Dear Kid" letter of your very own? Learn more about how to participate here.

Dear girlie girl,

This morning you've informed me that you don't like nicknames, so there! Isn't that a funny picture of you? I came across it this week and thought it would make you giggle. You were ten months old when I took this one. I think it might have been your first real tantrum. Check out those super chubby baby legs!

This week was pretty busy for us, but good. I'm starting to do some more work from home, so we're ironing out some schedule kinks around here, but all in all I thought we managed to juggle things pretty well. Monday morning we took turns doing what each of us wanted to do for a while. You played in the playroom while I got some work done, then we spent time playing together. You wanted to do your "grand entrance," so you got all dressed up and practiced coming into the same room over and over. You wanted to make sure I had the perfect reaction, so you asked me first to gasp, and then to say, "There she is!" every time I saw you come in. Once we had your entrance down, it was time work on your exit. You did your super fancy curtsy and instructed me to "look really disappointed" as you walked away. Girlfriend, I see a spotlight somewhere in your future.

Tuesday morning you arrived on the scene in your cowgirl outfit and told me it was time for your rodeo! You were worried about missing your turn on the bull if you went off to preschool, but I told you I'd keep him corralled til you got home. On the way home from school, you wanted to talk all about the changing seasons and you pointed out all the signs of spring, like green grass, rain clouds, and flowers on the trees. I thought it was pretty cool that you noticed that stuff.

We had thunderstorms early Wednesday morning, so you cuddled up downstairs with me while I did my early morning writing. You were super sweet and quiet, and I secretly loved having you here (even though I told you over and over how important it was for you to go back to sleep). Wednesday night you were in full superhero mode, and you went out to dinner with your grandpa wearing a pink princess dress tied around your neck as a cape. Grandpa's a pretty good sport for taking you out like that, huh? You told us your name was "Super Bonnet Speed." Hmmm... "Bonnet?"

On Thursday you decided you're going to start sleeping in your closet. Um... really? I suppose as long as you're comfy, safe, and rested, it's up to you, but I've got to admit that I feel sort of weird about it. The floor... your tent... your closet... Think we can ever get you back into a bed?

We had lots of places to go yesterday, which was a good thing since it's been raining all week and we've not been able to get outside much. You're itching for a trip to the park and so am I. You thought the pouring rain was pretty hilarious, particularly since we had "only one plain umbrella and zero pairs of galoshes." After carrying you, my laptop bag, my purse, AND the umbrella around all day, I decided we definitely need to get you some rain gear of your own!

You told me you had a very important "fairy meeting" Friday night, so you got all dressed up with your Cinderella dress, wings, and wand. You and Daddy decided to go on a "secret mission" to get me some dinner (sweet!), and he let you keep your pretty outfit on. You told me you did some magic on him while you were out, so now he's a prince. Nice work!

You're SUPER excited to go to California this week and so am I. Can't wait to see the look on your face when you see Disneyland, and I know you've been missing your aunts, uncles and your little cousin Twinkle. We're going to have a great time!

I love you, sweet girl.
Mommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natalie, you sure are creative, just like your Mom, who creates these wonderful articles and Macaroni & Glue cards! I can remember the first time we took your daddy & your Auntie Kris to Disney Land...it was so magical for them and I loved watching them. Of course, I went on all the rides, too, since rides are one of my favorite things. Have a wonderful time. Love you all!
Grandma Kaylan

Anonymous said...

You've got your hands full!