Sunday, June 7, 2009

Dear Kid Sunday


Welcome to this week's installment of "Dear Kid." As always, full credit to Christina of Cutest Kid Ever for the fabulous idea. Want to write a "Dear Kid" letter of your very own? Learn more about how to participate here.

Dear Sweets,

We were unstoppable this week! Preschool is officially over and we had the week to ourselves. Despite Mommy's persistent laryngitis, we had lots of fun and took on lots of cool creative projects. Monday we made some stilts out of cans and velcro. You thought they were pretty awesome and I was glad to have dissuaded you from trying to make "rollerskates" out of your plastic cars. Lately you have lots of very detailed plans for "inventions," many of which are a little scary for me from a safety perspective. I was glad we could agree on stilts and then work together to figure out how to make them.

Tuesday morning you told me one of your stuffed dogs was going to have a baby and started asking lots of questions about how that might be possible. I confess - I was thrown off. I didn't expect to have the "where do babies come from" conversation for a while. I was very relieved when you clarified your questions. Apparently you only wanted to know how babies get fed when they're in their mommies' tummies. Whew! That one I could handle. But that conversation sure did get me motivated to do a little research on the best way to talk to you about... things like that!

Wednesday morning, you informed me that your stuffed dog's baby had been born - a little yellow bear named "Applebug Goose." What a great name! You were very busy taking care of the baby for most of the morning and you wanted to know if your cousin Twinkle could come over so you could take care of her too. I hate to break it to you, but she's not a baby anymore! Thursday morning, another one of your puppies had a baby named "Rocky Hockey." Boy, those puppies have been busy.

Daddy took Thursday and Friday off, which he doesn't get to do very often. We were ready for some serious family fun! We hit the science museum first, which you thought was actually kind of scary. Daddy and I were surprised - you love science and nature shows on TV. Maybe everything was just a little bit too big and too "real" for you. Anyway, you got a big kick out of the gravity lab (wasn't it cool to float those ping-pong balls over the air vent??), the mini tornado, and the giant kaleidoscope.

Friday we went to the zoo, which is pretty much one of my favorite places EVER. Once again, you surprised us a little bit. You weren't really impressed with any of the animals. You were actually way more interested in the little wagon we'd rented than whatever exhibit we were looking at. Dad and I were feeling a little discouraged, but when we got to the penguin exhibit, you had enough fun to make the whole day worthwhile. Apparently penguins are VERY funny.

This week you start your summer gymnastics camp and you're pretty psyched about it. I don't think you've quite figured out that preschool is over for the year - you keep asking about your teacher and which day you're going back. I'm hoping camp turns out to be a good distraction, and I'll bet you're going to love having a nice long gymnastics class twice a week.

I love you, baby girl.

Sincerely,
Mommy

No comments: