Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Featured Artisan -- Epheriell


This week's featured artisan is Jess of Epheriell. A fellow Etsyian and super talented jewelry artist, Jess offers gorgeous contemporary designs that are both simple and stunning.

Tell me a little bit about you and what you do.
I am an Aussie girl who has discovered her passion in creating sleek, artisan jewellery! I also love to work with yarn and beads and gemstones, and I also make jewellery from sea glass that I collect at the beach down the end of my street. I love wandering slowly along the beach looking for a glint of treasure on the sand! I also have a lovely English fiancĂ©, and a ridiculously cute cat named Gobbolino…

What 3 phrases best describe your work?
Contemporary metal jewellery

What inspires you?
Nature inspires me… as does the metal itself. When working with wire, you have so much freedom – but as with any material, limitations also.

What drives you to create what you do?
I work in a very ‘intellectual’ job, and I find working with my hands just brings me an incredible satisfaction. Until I began crafting, I always felt as though there was something missing in my life – now I can’t imagine life without it!

What makes your work unique?
I think every thing a person makes is unique, because it comes from their hands, and so every piece – even if the look the same – never can be. I am trying to find unique ways to shape my material, and I’m always trying new designs. Who knows what I’ll be making in a year’s time?


What role does your work play in your life? What role would you like it to play?
Currently, making jewellery is a hobby (or perhaps, obsession!) for me. Sometimes I think I would love to be making a living from it, and other times I don’t want to take the freedom out of it by doing this. I’ll just keep creating, and whatever happens, happens, and could not happen any other way! (kudos to the Matrix, here, for the quote…).

How do you see your work and/or your business evolving in the next five years?
I will keep crafting for the rest of my life. I can see this becoming a bigger and bigger part of my life – and it’s nice to know that if I ever have kids, I’ll have the ability to make some money from my craft. My main aim is just to keep enjoying what I do, and to keep creating new designs!

Where can we find you on the web?
Blog - http://www.EpheriellDesigns.com
Website - http://www.Epheriell.com
Etsy - http://Epheriell.etsy.com

Are you an artist or craftsperson? Would you like to be featured here? I would love to hear from you. Leave a comment here with a link to your shop, and I'll be in touch about future opportunities.

No comments: