Saturday, February 28, 2009

Dear Kid Saturday


Welcome to this week's installment of "Dear Kid." As always, full credit to Christina of Cutest Kid Ever for the fabulous idea. Want to write a "Dear Kid" letter of your very own? Learn more about how to participate here.

Yeeeeeeeehaw, cowgirl!

This week was "Texas week" at preschool and you were really into it. I find it hilarious, by the way, that every time I break out the camera now, you feel the need to model for me. Where in the world did that come from? You silly thing.

Our week got off to a bit of a rough start. Sunday night I caught you watching TV in the playroom at about 10:45. That was a new one - you'd never come out of your room after bedtime before, and I certainly never expected to find you hiding up in the playroom. We had a little talk about how important your sleep is (and how sneaking around is not OK), and got you back to bed, but you were up bright and early the next morning at 5:15. Although you insisted you weren't tired, you sure were grumpy all day. This not-sleeping-much thing seems to be a little bit of a trend, and I'm hoping it doesn't last long. I'm kind of thrown for a loop - it's not as though I can make you sleep. Maybe it's just another way you're trying to exert some control over your world. It's hard to be three, huh?

After the crazy game of family freeze tag we played Monday night, you'd think you would have slept in Tuesday morning, but you were up at 5:00 again. I was a little worried that you wouldn't make it through preschool, but you actually did fine. You wore a fabulous outfit that day, by the way - brown skirt, bright pink and yellow striped socks, light-up tennis shoes, too-small Colts jersey, and a tiara. Lately you really like to choose your own clothes, and I feel like it's a good way to let you express yourself a little bit. I tend to think if I let you have control over things that don't so much matter (what's for lunch, what you're wearing, what kind of craft we'll make, etc.), you're be more likely to listen when it's time for me to be in charge. So far, so good. Besides, what's the harm in mismatched clothes if they make you feel like a princess when you walk out the door, right?

We had a very interesting conversation on Wednesday about "showing off." For some reason, you pressed hard for a precise definition of "show-off," and then spent a long time trying to convince me that you "never ever ever are one." I asked whether something had happened at school, but you insisted that you were just "wondering." I think there's more to that story, but I didn't want to push it.

On Thursday, you got to wear your cowgirl outfit to school. Fun! That hat sure did look funny on you! When I picked you up, though, you seemed sort of sad, and you told me that one of the girls had forgotten her cowgirl stuff. I asked if she'd been upset and you said, "No. I just felt sad for her." That's so sweet, girlie girl. I'm so glad to see that you're starting to think about how others feel - now we've got a great foundation to work from on a whole lot of interpersonal issues.

You were bored Friday morning, so I decided to let you "cook." I pulled a bunch of old stuff out of the pantry, gave you some water and some measuring spoons, and let you go to town. Here's what you made:


Mmmmmm.... muffins! That was fun, huh?

I love you so much, sweet girl. Can't wait to see what next week has in store for us.

Sincerely,
Mommy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How absolutely precious! I love your blog, and love that little journal about your darling little girl! I used to keep a journal when my kid's were little (did more of that for the 1st child, of course!)...so they could go back and read funny, sweet, cute little things they did they we sometimes forget about!

Michelle said...

Another great blog post! I understand completely about the not wanting to sleep phase, although, thank goodness, Chloe has never gotten up to stay at 5! I also tend to agree about letting them make decisions about the non-important stuff. It's too bad we live so far away, I think we'd have some good playdates :) And how brave of you to let her make some muffins!

apurimac said...

Thank you for being youu