Thursday, July 10, 2008

I'm a Sucker for Great Product Pics...

Ok, so I've been a bit obsessed of late with my product pics. I don't like them. There's no other way to say it. And I'm not sure exactly how to improve them... Light box? Better staging? Creative props? Really, there's only so much you can do. Ultimately, I'm going to have to get a rectangle-shaped object to look good within a square frame, all without losing any detail. Further, I'm just going to have to accept that the pics that work well within a teeny tiny product list on Etsy simply may not work in my Trunkt portfolio, where the pics are NOT square and display much larger than the pics in my shop.

Anywho, while I continue to stew about this most important topic, I spend a fair amount of time perusing other shops looking for the most clickable and creative product pics. Some of the best I've come across belong to dorijenn, jewelry designer from Israel. Her pics show her products in subtle, artsy, vintage-y settings, creating an entire virtual atmosphere for her shop. While her banner's cool too, it's really the product pics that make you feel like you've walked into a really hip antique store when you visit. You can almost smell every element of each pic. Really, it's almost impossible not to click. See for yourself.




If not for an influx of custom orders, I'd surely be locked in a room with my camera by now, trying anything and everything to get my pics to even approach this level of fabulousness. But alas, time constraints are limiting my ability to pursue my obsession for the moment. Rest assured that if I figure it out, I'll let you know.

5 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

Hardest part of it, that's for sure.

Felicia said...

I know what you mean about fun props. Recently I photographed some doll pillows with a VERY cute and dreamy Ken doll. I had a blast and they turned out adorable :)

Carry Grace said...

Her pics are VERY click worthy! I hope your get your pictures like you want them. I still struggle with my pics.

Unknown said...

I have been working on my pictures since I started putting my work online. I have tried some things - I have found a system that I like but I think could be improved. good luck finding the right system

femputer said...

I'm obsessed with this, too. It can be so agonizing, but I like trying lots of different ways of styling etc. It can even be fun. lol