Saturday, April 4, 2009

Dear Kid Saturday


Welcome to this week's installment of "Dear Kid." As always, full credit to Christina of Cutest Kid Ever for the fabulous idea. Want to write a "Dear Kid" letter of your very own? Learn more about how to participate here.

Dear I-don't-want-a-nickname-'cause-it's-not-nice-to-call-people-names,

You're right - it's definitely not nice to call someone by any other name than their own unless they're OK with it. This week you are very concerned with people's feelings and our rules about how to treat others. You love to catch grown-ups doing things you're not supposed to do, like interrupting, calling other people names, whining, and asking the same question over and over. Grown-ups definitely aren't perfect, right? And Daddy and I appreciate the reminder that we need to be setting a good example for you with our own behavior. So keep it up, Ms. Manners!

We got off to a pretty slow start this week. Monday morning you arrived on the scene in full princess gear, but with a scratchy throat. We took it easy at home and played "make a movie" together. You introduced me to your dolls ("OK, you guys, this is Kelly - she's going to play with us.") and we all pretended to go to the movies. We turned out the lights and acted out a movie, and only occasionally had to stop to remind someone in the audience (usually me or the dog) to shush.

Monday afternoon you did something that scared me a lot - you climbed down out of your car seat while we were on the highway. You got a VERY stern talking-to and you were really mad at me. You said you didn't love me anymore, but that maybe, after you'd calmed down, you'd still be my friend. We talked about how my job is to keep you safe, and that even if you get angry at me, I still have to do what I think is best for you. And it's OK for you to be mad and to say that you don't like me, because I'll love you no matter what. You seemed to think that was a pretty good deal.

This week I'm trying out a new schedule for my work, which has made it easier to find big chunks of time to play together. After your nap on Monday, we played board games for hours. Tuesday afternoon you made a "Happy Thursday" card for Dad, which I thought was pretty fantastic. And Wednesday night we went for a long trip around the neighborhood with your Big Wheel. You've gotten so much better at pedaling and steering!

At the gym on Thursday you played racquetball with your grandpa and then a funny game of "construction site." He'd ask you to go to the "hardware store" (me) to get him something for his construction project, and you had to remember what he needed. It was pretty silly. When he asked you for an extension ladder, you asked me for a "congestion ladder." When he needed box wrenches, you asked for "fox wrenches." Funny game, huh? Can't wait to play that one with Daddy!

You had gymnastics on Friday and, wow! You've improved a LOT since the last time you took this class. You were so much more confident on the balance beam and you were positively flying into those somersaults. It was nice to see you try new things with so much enthusiasm. You even made a new friend, which is more and more common these days. You sure are growing up.

I love you, sweet girl. Here's to another week of learning and growing together.

Sincerely,
Mommy

2 comments:

Grandma Kaylan said...

I love hearing all about your days, and how you show up for each other as love.
Grandma Kaylan

Pretty Things said...

So sweet! You're an awesome mommy. She'll look back on all these things and be so proud.