Saturday, April 11, 2009

Dear Kid Saturday


Welcome to this week's installment of "Dear Kid." As always, full credit to Christina of Cutest Kid Ever for the fabulous idea. Want to write a "Dear Kid" letter of your very own? Learn more about how to participate here.

Dear Jane Doe,

I don't know what to call you anymore since you've officially banned all forms of "name-calling" around here, including "sweetie, honey, chickadee, girlie girl, tootsie roll" and all my other favorites. Apparently it doesn't matter if I think they're nice names, you've decided it's not OK. I'm really hoping this is only a temporary measure, since I hardly ever call ANYONE by their actual name. I'm not even allowed to call Daddy "babe." This could become quite the challenge.

We had a pretty nice week despite the fact that I had some kind of horrible cold-like virus thingy that made me grumpy and kept you stuck inside. On Monday I was still feeling healthy and we did lots of pretending. You spent the early morning riding around on a broomstick horse wearing a cowboy hat, a prom princess sash, your white gloves and lots of red lipstick. You told me you were a super-cowgirl and that "even cowgirls have to look beautiful." In the afternoon you grabbed your "life saber" and told me not to worry because you were "tall and brave against any bugs that come in the house." Wow! I didn't even know bugs were an issue! Apparently we should "scare them to the South Pole." Sure am glad we have you around for that.

Tuesday and Wednesday were my sick days. You were pretty nice to Mama, considering. You definitely thought I was pretty boring, but you sang me some great made-up songs to help me feel better and you even made me a card. You played a cool secret agent game Wednesday night that was pretty fascinating, and luckily didn't require me to get off the couch. I appreciated your patience with me, sweetie. (Oops, there I go again - sorry!)

On Thursday I was feeling better and we played games after preschool. You're really into your "Littlest Pet Shop" game on the Wii. I love seeing what you name your new pets. This time you named them "Nosehead," "Bermit," "Basket," "Treehouse," and "Foot." Nice! We also played "Guess Who?" again. I used to play that game with my sisters when I was a kid, and I think it's pretty cool that you understand how to play. It's all about asking yes/no questions and using process of elimination to figure out the other person's secret. Watching you think through your questions is really fun - I like seeing your little wheels turn as you figure new things out.

At your gymnastics class on Friday, you surprised everybody by walking on the balance beam all by yourself. Your teacher started to take your hand, but you said, "I can do it myself this time," and you did! The look on your face was priceless - you were SO proud of yourself. I was really proud to see so much confidence. Nice work!

I love you, Jane Doe. Can't wait to see what fun you have in store for me this week!

Sincerely,
Mommy

3 comments:

Grammatically Delicious Designs said...

I love these. I have been reading them for a while now and have NO idea why I haven't commented yet! I need to start doing this, but the things I have to write about my teenagers may not be as sweet. Ha! Your little super-cowgirl is a beauty!

Danielle

rosebud101 said...

Oh, that is so sweet! What a wonderful way to describe the love you have for your child!

Birdie said...

I love Dear Kid Saturday! Your cowgirl sure is a cutie :) I don't know what I'd do if I could only call my sweet boy by his name...what's his name again? He'll probably end up thinking his name *is* sweet boy, snuggles, munchie, or one of the thousand other nonnames he gets called.