Monday, April 13, 2009

Featured Artisan -- NickAnny Creations


Tell me a little about yourself and what you do.
I live in Oklahoma City, OK and I have been sewing for as long as I can remember. My grandmother taught me, and she could make a pattern for anything just looking at it! I make bags and purses and soaps. I love to sew, it is very calming to me and relaxes me. It makes me feel especially great when my daughter asks me to make something for her - such as a small purse. I make most of the items on the weekend, except for the soap. Because it's cold process soap, I make it on Friday's when the kiddo's are at school and I am home from work. I have two wonderful children and "the best" husband a gal could ask for!

What 3 words best describe your work?

Simple, fun, functional

What inspires you?

I travel a lot so I am inspired by trying to find something that is interesting but useful. I have bags that are for carrying an overnight's worth of stuff, and I have bags that are for cosmetics. I am working on a shoe bag and a clothing storage bag that would be for men or women. I am inspired every time I walk into the fabric store by all of the gorgeous cotton material on the wall, and I instantly think of what I can make from it! I make the soap because I just love using it at home and it keeps my skin from needing so much lotion! And I can use it on my kids and control what's going on their body!


What drives you to create what you do?

I was inspired when I checked out the book "Bend The Rules Sewing" by Amy Karol. I thought, man, I can do that stuff. So I bought the book and started making the items in there. Then I had a couple of friends start a candle business, so I have sent my items with them to craft shows. I want to make my stuff enough that I can create a pattern for it, and other people can make it as well. I read lots of books on pattern making and sewing that I check out from the library, as well as books on small business and how to be successful. I am doing this because I love it, and I want it to become my signature.

What makes your work unique?
My work is unique because I take the items I see out in the world for travel and purses and I change them so they work for me. My needs, like lots of moms, are related to being able to stuff a lot of items in a bag and go somewhere, but also washable so if or when something spills I can clean the bag! My soap is unique because I thoroughly plan what oils I will use, and what color and fragrance. For example, I am working on a red, white and blue soap for the summer with an apple pie scent!

What role does your work play in your life? What role would you like it to play?

Right now, as a new owner and entrepreneur, it is part of the evening and weekend life that I have. I would love to have it play a stronger role in our family income and provide a source of support so I can become a CEO of a successful and profitable company.



How do you see your work and/or your business evolving in the next five years?

As the business grows, with more shops and boutiques featuring my works, I expect to begin to spend less time actually sewing but more time being the creative source for the products. I would continue to experiment and develop my own patterns, but hire local persons to make some of the items so I could continue to grow the business. My husband helps me with plans, and even wraps soaps - and we have a plan for the next five years to grow this business.

Where can we find you on the web?

Etsy: www.nickanny.etsy.com
Artfire: www.nickanny.artfire.com
Blog: www.nickannycreations.blogspot.com

No comments: